Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Social Anxiety Life: Friends, Love and Paranoia

I stopped blogging for a couple of months, just didn’t feel like it. I certainly have a reason for that. First Adriana, an old friend of mine came to live with me, she has been here for 4 months now, it has been good for me; it has comforted my loneliness.

Also got into a relationship last December, and it’s working fine, it’s good to have a love in life, I know it’s a process to be built, to establish a relationship is not easy, but I feel I’m ready to take the challenge.

Work has been fine also, I work with computers and it’s great, it limits the amount of time I have to spend with people, it’s just me and my computer.

There’s a new increasing anxiety symptom, when I’m in the street I avoid to walk near people, I just want to be alone, it’s just a feeling of not wanting to be near people, it’s probably a mechanism of self defense, I probably think unconsciously that they are going to hurt me, so I avoid them, moving to other side of the sidewalk if I feel I have to, it doesn’t happen with everybody I find, it’s just with certain people.

Has this happened to you? Have you had that feeling of being followed, or someone wanting to come close to you? What do you do about it?

3 comments:

elphf said...

Well, I have a thing about following or being followed when I'm walking. I need to keep a certain distance and I'll slow down or speed up or even cross the street to do it or to avoid having to pass someone. There is certainly something anxiety provoking about it but I've never really examined my thoughts about it. Maybe I will next time it happens.

Dave B. said...

Glad to hear things are going okay for you. Having love in your life is usually a big help. All the best with that.

As for walking near people, I don't really have much of a problem with that, but if given a choice I'd rather walk alone. My problem comes from people looking at me. I hate the feeling I'm being stared at. Half the time, I don't bother going for walks because I'm worried about getting caught in a crowd. Sure would be nice to simply live my life without worrying about the actions or inactions of others.

Anyway, have a great weekend.

Dave

Aimée said...

I watch a lot of Court TV and so I am always worried that people walking behind me are following me or thinking about attacking me. I usually start walking faster and keep an ear out to hear if they change their pace too. Otherwise, if I am passing someone I will act like I am distracted by something so I won't have to show any kind of acknowledgment of their existence. I don't know why, but thats what I do. Glad you are posting again.

Aimee
http://anxiousnomore.blogspot.com