Saturday, May 05, 2007

Changing from Social to a Generalized Anxiety?

Anxiety thoughtsThe problem within the Problem

After a few days away from my Social Anxiety Blog I felt the need to come back and write about what’s going on in my life. I believe is a way of compiling my thoughts, writing is a technique that allows me to take a look at my life with a different perspective.

I have noticed lately how my anxiety has transform from social anxiety to a more generalized anxiety. Let me explain you; social situations have become less threatening and I just experience sometimes a feeling of anxiety that can’t be specifically related to any external situation causing it.

I often discover myself thinking about negative stuff like:
- The possibility of loosing my job
- A friend betraying me
- The responsibility of my family for what I’m suffering now with anxiety
- The risk of having a serious illness or dying

Those types of thoughts are the ones provoking the anxiety feeling. Sometimes when I discover I’m having those types of irrational thoughts I just say to myself: “Ok, enough, stop thinking that, you have no reason to be thinking like that, everything is fine, stop making up things that aren’t real or don’t have a solid base”. This is what is causing anxiety on me now, those negative thoughts. I have to work on those thoughts with my therapist.

I have got to a point of my life where I feel it’s functional: I have a good job, have a love in my life, I study, I have a quite good relationship with my family, have a few friends, I have a healthy lifestyle, etc. So I congratulate myself for achieving all that, I have to remember myself that I’m a good human being, with great potential and limitations of course.

This is my message for you out there dealing with social anxiety: “Keep trying, never give up, it’s possible to have a better lifestyle, we just have to be persistent and work hard on it, it’s really worth it.

Have you found yourself having negative thoughts that provoke your anxiety? At what moment of the day? Do you do anything about it?

3 comments:

Cynthia Blue said...

Yes, I have also found more general anxiety as I work on my social anxiety. Especially the 'I could lose my job' anxiety.

Nihil said...

nice blog. mine is at http://socanxiety.blogspot.com/

some similar stuff.........

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm the owner of http://www.naturalcureforanxiety.com

I made this blog because I hate taking medications and found some really awesome information and products. I post new blogs as I find good stuff to write about.

I think it can really help anyone with anxiety.