Monday, November 27, 2006

Getting lost in some Social Situations

Social Fear Do you feel like you loose control, like you forget who you are in some or most of your social situations?

To me it’s just like if there were two different people in me; see in some social situations I feel confident, positive, and clear of whom I am. Other times I am totally lost, I forget who I am, I am scared, frightened, and anxious.

I think it has to do with the person or the group that is in front of me, if the person or group represents a threaten to me, and I feel there is in the person or group certain characteristics that reminds me of certain difficult situations of my childhood, like if I feel the people are mocking, contemptuous, sarcastic, etc; anything that reminds me of my childhood and the complicated relationships I had with others, then I immediately start feeling the symptoms of anxiety.

I keep saying to myself that in those moments I can’t forget who I am, I have to remember I am a good person, with rights, productive, responsible, committed, sensible, that deserves respect from the others, I keep saying to myself I have to remember all these good things about myself.

I just don’t know exactly what happens during those moments in my brain, it is just that something clicks inside of my head and there it is, the little child I was, vulnerable, weak, helpless, I feel so in danger like if something really bad is going to happen to me, it is a terrible fear, that is what social anxiety is, a terrible fear to social situations.

What is your experience? How do you react in these types of situations? How do you handle them?

No comments: